Friday, September 28, 2012

Inspiration for Family Travel


Dream a Little Dream.  

No, that's not quite right.  Dream a BIG dream.  Why not?  Make it the biggest, best dream and then set a plan to fulfill that dream.  I've known from the time I was a small girl I wanted to travel the world.  At 18, I set out on my own to see the big, wide world and haven't looked back. 
While in South East Asia, I noticed loads of families out traveling with their small children.  They were doing things and going places with kids in tow.  It had never occurred to me that was a possibility.  I had thought of travel as something you do before children or after, not during.  When I met this family (photos below) while scuba diving off a remote and completely rustic Thai island, a lightbulb went off and a new dream was in the making.



 Upper Deck of the Boat and the 3-year-old is asleep on the deck, so close to the edge.  Blew my mind.
Scuba Diving Family Who Changed My Life


Even though my partner and I didn't have any children and I had no idea when we would start a family, there was one thing I did know for sure:  We would travel with them.  We would start traveling when they were young and we would never stop.

By the time we depart with our boys and make our way to Thailand, it will be 10 years since I met the family pictured above.  I don't know who they are or where they are from.  I know nothing about them at all.  But I have gazed at these photos year after year as I dreamed my dream.

Thank you, whoever you are, for inspiring me and giving me hope.

5 comments:

tireegal68 said...

So inspiring! I don't want to be a world traveller but I totally am in awe of people like this and you too! Dream big!!

Next in Line said...

I love that you have these pictures. People thought we were crazy when we went to Cuba for a month. It was amazing! I will be following all your adventures.

Liz Raptis Picco said...

Love your blog! Your kids will be forever grateful you took them on these adventures! Please visit www.stretchmarks.me...Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My wife and I are still TTC at the moment, so we are not a internationally travelling family yet, but considering that we live in New Zealand and she is from the Caribbean, I assume our children will quickly become seasoned travellers!! I've just started blogging about our journey on wordpress under the name pepibebe. I used to have a tourism company in NZ, so if you'd like to come here one day feel free to hit me up for some tips :-)

Travel said...

Wonderful adventure for the entire family!!!

Travel