Sunday, May 31, 2009
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Friday, May 29, 2009
"Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) is a rare genetic defect that can lead to complications in pregnancy. Many people do not know that they have this defective gene until after they have had several unsuccessful pregnancies. Others may carry one pregnancy to term and not discover until afterwards that they carry the defect."
You can call it MotherFucker. We all do. Even the nurses at the RE Factory!
Before we started this donor egg IVF cycle, I made sure they did an RPL (recurrent pregnancy loss) panel on me, even though I only had one m/c. My acupuncturist seemed pretty certain 2 of my other cycles were early losses and I wanted to rule out everything possible to make sure this cycle had the best chance of success.
Now I know that I have one mutation of MTHRF (C677T). That means I am
I wished I'd had this test done sooner, because I could've been taking something as simple as a baby aspirin a day + extra folic acid, vitamins B6 and B12 to achieve a successful pregnancy. Had I only known.
Here's where it gets tricky: How much is enough? My RE is content with the baby aspirin but I think I might need to add more to the mix (like Folgard?).
Here's what I'm currently on:
- Prenatal:800 mcg of folic acid, 15 mg of B6 and 25 mcg of B12
- B12/Folic Acid/B6 tab with 2mg B6, 1000 mcg B12 and 800 mcg folic acid
- In addition I add wheat germ to a smoothie every day with "20% folic acid"
So confusing and complicated. What I don't understand if if a baby aspirin can't hurt, why don't they just have most TTC women on it??
Also, those of you out there who suffer from migraines (I'm thinking of you Carrie) this gene has also been linked to migraines.
If any of you have any advice for me...I'd love to hear it!
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Thursday, May 21, 2009
- The first thing my mom did when she arrived was get on the scale because she wanted to make sure she didn't gain any weight while she was here. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, because I had weighed myself as well hoping I wouldn't gain any weight being in 'vacation' mode while Mommy was here. Now I know where I get it from.....
- My mom may be almost 70, but we walked 8 miles in one day alone. She's got mad stamina. Now I know where I get it from....
- No weight gained regardless of the cupcake, Russian pastry, flan, carrot cake, strawberries/pound cake and brioche bread pudding because we walked all over the freaking city non-stop.
- Mommy went home. Cannot have Mommy in small apartment for long time. Cannot.
- Joyously celebrated by taking off all of our clothes and walking around naked, followed by loudly having sex and then feasting on sushi.
- Very happy Mommy has left.
- It's been warm, followed by a little cool, but now....deliciously warm.
- Sunscreen is one of my favorite smells ever.
- I am making good use of my bikini and lawn chair.
- K and I were both on Lupron during Mommy week with no side effects. Everyone was happy about that.
- Haven't noticed the Estrace at all.
- Have not worked out (unless you count the walking).
- Have no plans to.
- K threw me a surprise birthday party Saturday night with about 30 friends. It was fantastic! Photos to come.
- Had our once a month brunch with the lovely NYC/NJ bloggers. I love you ladies! So great to see all of you again!
- There seem to be a lot of BFP's out there and I am so freaking happy for all of you.
- I had the pleasure of having (decaf) coffee with this lovely lady, who I really, really wish lived in NYC so I could hang out with her every week. It was so much fun!
- I wish I could remove my arms when sleeping. They always get in my way.
- I woke up Sunday with a huge pain in my neck and shoulder (probably from sleeping weird because of my damn arms) and while it's slowly going away, it has kept me from doing much that requires my right arm ALL week long. Bloody painful, even with advil, acupuncture and massage.
- The massage was a perfectly timed birthday gift from this wonderful lady! Thank you! I needed it badly this week!
- K is fully suppressed and has started on stims tonight. She was very brave and wanted to shoot up herself. Then she asked for juice and almost passed out.
- I've increased the Estrace to twice a day.
- My acupuncturist told us to stop all coffee, even decaf as well as sugar (and obviously alcohol but I haven't had a drink since starting the BCP's over a month ago).
- Stop Sugar? Did you see my sugar intake from last week??
- We lasted a day and then split a flan last night at a Cuban place.
- We are weak.
- Today was sugar free. Who knew it would be so hard?
- Retrieval could be as early as May 31.
- Holy Shit.