Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Clarification of the Diaper Bag and More Useful Packing Items

First, to answer Jen. My diaper bag is indeed huge.
As most readers of this blog know, we bought just about everything for the twins used/second hand. To this day, I can count the number of clothing items we have bought ourselves as we get so many hand-me-downs from friends/cousins. I think it's great! More money to spend on other things.

However, the diaper bag was one of the items that I splurged on. I love it, love it, love it and it's perfect for traveling.
The brand is called Ju Ju Be and my bag is the Be Prepared.
The name fits me well as I pride myself on being organized and prepared!

Also, my list was a bit misleading as I didn't quite fit all of that into the diaper bag and had to shove some items in the suitcase (for instance, the 40 pack of diapers). But yeah, I can get ALOT (most of it) in that bag.
I also always carry a supply of large and small ziploc bags when traveling. I can't even count the number of times those have come in handy.

My last item I forgot to include was a travel pack of duct tape. I know, it's so lesbionic, but trust me--it has a million uses. It's always in my bathroom bag, but I think I'm going to switch it to my diaper bag now so it's always with me.
For instance, when we got to the condo we discovered how bright the bedroom was even with the blinds closed. What to do? Baby needs to nap...
I grabbed a dark sarong that I had packed specifically anticipating this problem, climbed up on a chair and duct taped the fabric over the window. Viola! Darkened room perfect for napping!
I never travel without a sarong. It's a blanket for a picnic, a towel at the beach, a dress, a skirt, a cover when you're cold and so many other things. I could probably sling a baby in one if I tried.

We DO always carry a back up set of clothes for the twins--just 2 extra onsies--and also these bags for anything dirty. They are great!
We've been very fortunate in diaper blow outs in that I can count on one hand the number of times we've needed back up clothing items for the twins.
As for extra clothing for ourselves, we have been super lucky and have never the joyful experience of being pooped or peed on. Not once! So, we've never packed that in the bag, but now that I've typed this, surely one of us will get shat on promptly.

Questions?



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, just want to say a quick thank you. my wife and i just had twins (boy/girl) ourselves, and reading your blog over the past six months has been an enormous help to us. your boys are beautiful and are lucky to have two great mamas.

cheers,
kristi

Anonymous said...

I have a question, you know, being a non mum, and a new blogger etc - how do you post links like you do? If i need to link anything i just type the link straight on, it looks so much neater the way you do it!
Glad to hear all is well with you :)

Anonymous said...

Aaahh thank you! I was being lazy, maybe i should click about a bit more; WP has one of those nice neat buttons too - who knew!?

We've actually bought the Malaria Tabs now, we went with Doxycyline because they seemed to have the best long term research and side effects (or should I say 'the least crazy side effects') for our budget. We paid £50 for the lot, Malarone was going to cost us £350, and isn't recommended for long term use. Thanks for your advice though!

Sunny said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog!! Too bad I was 9 posts behind in your blog (I have over 430 unread posts in Reader) or I could have benefitted from your experience before. *smacks hand on forehead*

We are about to start Weissbluth in earnest tonight. I used his nap training schedule for my singleton, it was an amazing transformation when we were done!! I never had to do it at night with him, because as soon as he was nap trained, the nighttimes got better. He didn't STTN until 14 months, but I can handle 2 wake-ups. It's just this up-every-90-minutes B.S. that I can't deal with!

(Oh, and if you are still having trouble with clogged ducts, I added 1200 mg of lecithin to my diet and NO MORE RECURRING CLOGGED DUCTS! *cheer*)

Anonymous said...

just found your blog via Sunny. wish i would have found the travel info a little sooner. just got back from a long trip with my twins!

...reading about your sleep issues has been helpful, too. i'm about to shoot myself!