Tuesday, December 21, 2010

House of Puke and Poop

A nasty little virus has been working its way around--I know some of you got bit and man, oh man, it chewed its way all through our house.

First Grunter started puking last Sunday night. He threw up again on Monday morning and then had some glorious poo all day long.
Unfortunately, Sunday night was the first night I'd gone to an adult party by myself (well, I went with a friend) since the twins were born. I came home at 10:30pm and both babies were crying which does.not.happen. in this house. Poor Chicken had a huge important business meeting the next day and could not help me out that night and let me tell you--I was pretty much up ALL night.
The nanny had finals on Monday so it was just me and two sick kids. It hadn't hit W2 full on yet, but wow, that was the roughest day in memory. Taking care of two sickies is hard, hard work.

Tuesday Grunter was feeling marginally better and W2 was puking and pooing. Thankfully that day I had some backup help.

Wednesday, I woke up yes, puking and pooing. HN and Chicken took over all day because I was completely useless. I couldn't keep any liquid down and forget about food. It took all of my energy just to get to the bathroom. I couldn't stay upright to even breast feed and there was no pumping (secretly I was happy about that part). That day made Monday seem like a walk in the park. After 24 hours I was finally able to eat something and keep it down. My milk supply plummeted and has yet to be back to normal. To top it off, the day before I got sick I had finally made it to my first full on pilates class since the twins were born so pretty much every muscle in my body was killing me. Good times.

Thursday: Oh yes, Chicken. Thankfully, she only had a single puke. But, this virus just kills you with the fatigue. We both spent most of the day in bed and had HN stay late.

By Friday, we were both starting to feel better but truthfully we could've stayed all day in bed.
We still had no appetite and very little energy.
On Saturday, I 'thought' about leaving the house, but didn't make it.
Sunday, we all finally made it out of the house. It was the first time out in four days for me and five days for the boys.
To say we were all going a bit stir crazy is putting it mildly.
Yesterday, I finally felt like my normal self again. It took five days!

Just like childbirth or sleep deprivation, there is NO way to explain how completely miserable an experience it is to be sick AND have to take care of sick kids (or just kids, period). It's horrible. I never want to do it again. And I know I will, but I hope not for awhile.

We're all good now and back to having fun. I just hope we can all stay healthy to enjoy the holidays!
Hope you are all healthy and had a better week than the house of PufferPuke.


tbean said...

Geez lady...S has the same thing right now. She's on day 7. Day 5 was the turning point where she FINALLY started improving, but she still has a long way to go before regaining full energy and stamina. It is a nasty, nasty, nasty virus.

But this post made me very appreciative of the fact that she didn't have to go through it AND take care of our boys. Not yet at least!

K J and the kids said...

I know they got it from that Santa Lady. I could see it in her eyes that she didn't feel good.
bitch. :)

I hope you guys are feeling better soon.

Next in Line said...

That really bites. Wow. I hope it all passes soon and you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Yuck, so sorry you all got hit with it, pur emisery. I'm glad everyone is on the mend and hope it stays that way for a nice long time.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

So sorry you also had it (and all of you) - at least in my house it was just me and already BAD... very BAD!

Glad you're on the mend though - long may it stay that way :)

Anonymous said...

UGH, flu is the WORST. We're actually on round 2 of it...second time in three weeks. I hope you're all back to normal for the holiday!