Monday, February 25, 2013

My Favorite Way to Wake Up

He nudges me in the soft early morning light.  It's not time to wake up, but he's so snuggly and sweet I can never refuse his small body burrowing under the covers next to mine.
"Are you mommy?" he whispers.
"Yes, I'm mommy."  This is something he does regularly in the dark, in the night, when the lights are low.  
"Are you my mommy?" he asks as he touches my face.
"Yes, I'm your mommy.  Your mama-mee."
"Are you the nicest mommy?" he wonders.
"Yes.  I am." (Well, what would you say?)
"Are you the prettiest mommy in the whole wide world?" he declares, not so much of a question and definitely not whispering anymore.
"Well, yes, sweet boy.  I guess I am."

My heart melted over and over as Grunter wrapped his little boy arms around my neck, hugging me tight as he said he loved me.
I've never been told I was the nicest or prettiest, but this little boy, MY little boy thinks his mommy is the best thing in the world.  It doesn't matter if I don't think I'm the prettiest mommy, which I assure you I do not, someone does.  My child.
What an amazing thing.

There have been many different 'favorite ways to wake up' in my 43 years, but right here, right now, this one tops them all.

3 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

oh man, I'm melting! That is such a touching story and a WONDERFUL way to wake up!

Pomegranate said...

This is so perfect!

Jen said...

What a wonderful post!