Hello, Mr. Crab, pleased to meet you
It's been so long since I've posted I hardly know where to start, so I'm just going to dive in with it.
Back in September--I can hardly believe it's already five months ago--I blogged about our travel lifestyle goals here.
So, I might as well start with some updates. Let's go!
Just another sunset in Ko Phayam
My friend, a former Hell's Angel. We made an unlikely duo.
Accumulate enough frequent flier miles for
us all to fly free round-trip NYC-Bangkok -- 100%
- In Sept. this goal was met with the caveat that two of us would be flying on American Airlines and two of us would be on Delta Airlines.
- As of Feb. 2013, we have enough American Airlines/partner miles for ALL FOUR of us to fly for free round trip. Originally, we wanted to fly Cathay Pacific, but it looks like we'll be aiming for Japan Airlines though Tokyo.
Earn an 'adequate' amount of Starwood/Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton hotel points to 'cushion' our stay from time to time when we need a break -- 100%
- We continue to accumulate points, almost exclusively through Starwood. Our goal was to use our American Airlines Visa card until our airlines miles goals were met, then to switch over to our Starwood AmEx card so we could keep working on the hotel points.
- As of Feb. 2013, we have enough Starwood points for a 2 week vacation here over Christmas and New Year holidays.
- Or we could divvy up the points for different stays along the way. For instance, they also have some nice properties in Vietnam. We plan to spend one month in Vietnam, so staying somewhere like this along the way would be a welcome change from guesthouses.
- Regardless, we still have 8 months of spending to accumulate points plus Chicken is doing loads of travel for her job presently, so those miles and points are going to keep adding up.
Reserve savings to sustain us for 6 months upon return -- 100%
Save enough money to travel for one year without working -- 100%
- In September, this was 65%, but the goal has now been met!
A roll of toilet paper for a napkin dispenser? In South East Asia, yes, yes, yes.
Develop a location independent income stream -- 0% - 100%
- This is something I've really dropped the ball on getting started. There have been some good changes lately that is going to make it possible for ME to start getting more 'work' done. I'm looking forward to doing something for ME!
- Kate has leads from past employers for project work she can do remotely. So, for her, perhaps this goal is 100%.
Switch boys to 'real' beds -- 100%
- This was a disaster at last update. But we made it and they can now sleep anywhere. We've even had different people put them to bed (family members, baby sitters) and all is well in the kingdom of sleep. Yeah!