Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mystery Solved

I woke up yesterday tired of (still) bleeding. After calling the OB/GYN's office and letting them know, hi, it's been 10 weeks of bleeding, what the fuck people? They immediately decided I should come in that day.
Chicken was in no position to take on 2 babies, so I strapped happy-go-lucky Grunter to me and off we went on the subway.
As usual, it was a horribly long wait, but Grunter was an angel.

Have you ever had a vaginal exam laying down with a baby strapped to your chest in a Moby Wrap? No, I didn't think so and the office staff hadn't experienced that either. I agree it was 'unusual' but I knew he'd be happier there than in a stroller and I hate getting in and out of taxis with the car seat and then dealing with the stroller assembly afterwards on a busy NYC sidewalk.
Babywearing rules.

At the 6 week post C-section appointment, they did a vag exam and I wanted to bite the Doctor and scream at him. It hurt that bad. This time, the midwife wielded the speculum and while she was far more gentle it still hurt like a mo-fo. After that, she decided she needed to do a cervical check with her hand. More things inside me I don't want there! You don't want to hear your midwife say "interesting" as she's probing around either.

Seriously, I have no idea how anyone gets pregnant in the months after birth because (a) no one except a doctor is getting anything near my vagina that could penetrate it and (b) who has time?? Chicken and I would rather sleep.

After this torture session I was sent out to the waiting room again because they needed to do an ultrasound on me. In the meantime Grunter had slept through his feeding, so I'm trying to breastfeed him in the waiting room so he doesn't melt down at an inopportune time.
I really need to practice this at home, because I am a big nipple flasher and while it doesn't really bother me, I can appreciate it might make others uncomfortable. Is there a YouTube video for this? A class?

They finally got me squeezed in for an ultrasound, but there's a new problem. The Baby. They found someone to hold my precious cargo and I had to endure yet another foreign object being shoved inside it.
And there it was.
A one inch clot.
Right outside my uterus, hanging out in my cervix and slowly but surely shedding itself.

Now we have two options:
Keep doing what I'm doing. Let it bleed itself out. BUT, I could develop an infection which would then put me in a lot of pain and require antibiotics.
OR have yet another doctor's appointment with long waiting room times where another foreign object is inserted and they suck it all out of me.
Lovely.
I really would do just about anything to avoid having another internal, so I might just let it bleed.

I know one thing. I'm not taking a baby with me next time. Four hours (yes, that's how long I was there) of baby wearing and doctor probing is too much.


10 comments:

N said...

oh, hon! I'm sorry that sucks so hard. :(

Nadine said...

that sucks, and I get why you would not want an internal exam (but speaking as a woman who has had multiple NASTY infections - one that killed the lining of my uterus - that can be worse as it can spread and you can land yourself in a hospital for a long period of time). but it does not happen that often.
hope it resolves soon.

cindyhoo2 said...

Ohhhh, misery. Seriously: that sucks!

Melissa said...

Oh no! 4 hours is super crazy!! I'm glad you discovered what's going on though. And tell Grunter I think he did a great job for having to put up with such a long day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, no Mrs Puff, this sucks. First the not so good hair and baby toe-mix, then this. Hope the spring will bring more comfort to the pufferchickenfamily. I hope you get rid of that thing as painfree and easily as possible.
*lol* to the nipple-less breastfeeding youtube wish. Perhaps with a poncho or a ginormous scarf?
xoxo, Monika

tbean said...

No wonder with the bleeding! I'm sorry. I hope this resolves itself soon. Like today, would be nice.
hugs

Anonymous said...

That sounds awful! I hope it clears up quickly.

And the bf-ing in public without too much nip slip is near the top of my list of goals.

Next in Line said...

Puffer what an appointment. That sucks.

I got really good at the bf'ing without flashing the nips, but now she is a lookylook baby. She hears something interesting and swings her head away to see what is going on leaving me exposed to the world.

oneofhismoms said...

I'll have you know I did have a vaginal exam with a baby on my chest in a moby wrap. But I didn't have to have him there for four hours. You poor thing. Sorry about the clot. Yeesh.

Anonymous said...

Oh that just suuuuucks. Nothing like having to choose between two shity choices. Good work with the baby wearing though!