Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 6 with the Twins

In bullets b/c there's just too much:

  • My condition was declining toward HELLP but they were willing to induce me for a natural labor
  • The natural labor they described was the most unnatural thing I've ever heard of, could take +48 hrs and more than likely would end up in an emergency C-Section anyway. The only natural thing was that the babies "might" exit out my vagina. Might.
  • The C-Section was solely our decision
  • We prepped for OR at 5:15 and the boys were here at 5:53
  • Those drugs are intense. Whoa.
  • Sebastian was fine from the beginning and was taken to well baby nursery
  • Max had a little problem breathing and spent the night in NICU but was released the following day mid-morning
  • I lost a lot of blood during surgery and am now severely anemic
  • We didn't name them for over 48 hours
  • Chicken is a natural, she is a rock star and the love of my life. The babies totally have Chicken noses.
  • If you didn't suffer from gas pains from your C-Section consider yourself extremely lucky indeed
  • My gas pains were so severe I had intense labor like contractions every 2-3 minutes all day and night on Saturday. I thought I might die. I actually wanted to die just to not feel the pain anymore. I was completely convinced there was no way it would ever end.
  • Take the drugs they offer you. All of them. DO NOT let your pain get away from you.
  • It got a little better on Sunday...with a little help from my friend suppository.
  • We let the nursery take them the first full night (Friday) but kept them in our room on the second night (Saturday).
  • By the middle of the night we knew that recovering from a C-Section PLUS twins=we need extra help BIG TIME.
  • We called my mom Sunday morning.
  • Sunday was a lot better. There's nothing like two babies needing you to get your recovering C-Section ass out of bed and get on with it.
  • My blood pressure started going up on Monday.
  • We were all released to go home this day and Chicken's dad drove 4 hours in the pouring rain to help us get home and meet his grandsons.
  • Coming home was intense and chaotic and wonderful and with little sleep.
  • My mom flew in yesterday (Tuesday).
  • I now believe all the people who said "you WILL NEED EXTRA HELP."
  • Yes, I am a believer. If you ever want to sleep again, you will need help.
  • My blood pressure continued to climb yesterday.
  • I was almost sent to the hospital again last night, but my OB called in some blood pressure medication for me at midnight.
  • Thank god we live where we do and there's a 24 hour Pharmacy right across the street.
  • I have to go to the Doctor's this morning for monitoring and blood work and pray to whatever gods are responsible that this doesn't now turn into E-Clampsia.
  • I finally had a shower this morning after one week.
  • The babies are the most perfect thing ever. They both breast feed but b/c they are so little we have to supplement with formula until my milk fully comes in.
  • I can even tandem breastfeed!!!
  • They go to their first pediatrician appointment tomorrow and I can get a better idea of how much we can cut down on their formula until we go 100% breast.

I got their weights wrong before:

Sebastian was 5 lbs, 4 oz.
Maximo was 4 lbs, 16 oz.

No, we did not expect two boys either!
And yes, I did remember what the psychic in Brooklyn said long, long ago when I asked her if I would have kids and she replied, "Yes, I see two boys, but they are not yours".
I told the entire OR staff that story while they were stitching me up. It was the first thing I thought of.

Have to go to the Docs now...hate to leave these little guys even for a couple of hours!
Following you all on my iPhone (my Push gift!! WooHoo!) but can't figure out how to blog from it. If anyone can tell me how, you'll be hearing from me more often.

Mommy Pufferfish

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!! CONGRATS AGAIN! And yes, you will need help. For a long time. TAKE THE HELP!

They are beautiful - I've looked at the pics about 700 times :)

Jackie said...

Love hugs and smooches! I can't wait to meet them!

I am confident that your rockstar medical care will get your BP, etc under control.

XO

BTW, I believe that there is a blogger app for the iPhone that allows you to easily blog. GL!

Lizzie said...

Take the help, and take care of you! xoxo

anofferingoflove said...

C/S recovery is hell, indeed. Glad you are feeling a little better and got a shower in, at least. Hope the ped appt goes well, I'm looking forward to more updates and pics!

Try the BlogPress app for posting.

Sunny said...

I have been looking forward to your next update! I'm so glad things are going well, and you now have the help in place that you need. Way to go, mama!

PS My first thought when I read the gender prediction was, "But they ARE yours!" But I get what you mean. :)

Anonymous said...

Hooray for extra help! I am so glad the babies are doing so well. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and you can enjoy lots and lots of mommy time. :)

Schroedinger said...

Thanks for the update! SOunds like things are very intense in Puffer land. So glad your mom is there to help, and between her & Chicken's dad it sounds like family has really pulled together for you. I am sorry to hear you were in such pain!!
But glad you are recovering and that Max & Sebastion are such little rock stars--- but really, how couldn't they be? Look at their mamas!

nutella said...

Hope the dr's appt goes well and shows health for you! Your boys are beautiful and I'm sure you can't wait to get back to them! And go you with the tandem BF!!

Melissa said...

Congrats again on the boys! I hope you doctor visit goes well and things start to stabilize health wise.

K J and the kids said...

Hope you are able to heal quickly with no problems.
You have such beautiful and perfect little boys.
(boys rock BTW) best friends they'll be.
Take the help and then some. If someone asks to come do laundry and you don't feel comfortable with that....tell them to come hold babies while you do it.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're weathering the bumps gracefully. I'm glad everything is going well with those boys!

Anonymous said...

You and Chicken (and the boys of course) are awesome!

And yes, C-sections are hell on earth, especially with the gas! I had an infection with mine and had to stay in the hospital for a week but that was with a singleton so surely it was a bit easier from that standpoint. Thankfully I was able to have 4 V-bacs after that, not a cake walk either but easier recovery in my humble opinion.

Your sons are so beautiful and can't wait to see more pics! I am so in awe of the tandem breastfeeding, congrats and keep it up!

Jen

Mommy D said...

Congrats again to you and Chicken for your beautiful little boys.... Funny how nobody mentions the gas pains after a C-section huh? You're totally right on the take the meds thing... I tried to be a saint my 2nd night in the hospital and ended up in cry-out pain for skipping my next dose of vicodin... Please, please try to take it easy, at least as much as you can, with two little ones needing you 24-7. It's very easy to get caught up in the babies and forget that you're body is trying to recover from major surgery.

I'm so very happy for the two of you! Take tons and tons of pictures and try to get as much rest as you can!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope the doctors appointment goes well and you are on the path to full recovery. Can't wait to hear how the ped appointment goes tomorrow! Love to you all. xoxo

Gayby Rabies said...

Did you call them Chicklet and Shadow Boxer for the first 48 hours?

I hope the appointment goes well today, and that you're able to get the blood pressure under control.

Anonymous said...

Ummmmm... may I point out that I'm in awe of your ability to post at this early a date? Between feeding/supplementing/pumping and attempting to eat some leftovers, it has taken me 2.5 hours from reading your post to actually leaving a comment. Thus, you rock.

You are so right about gas pains, the need for help with newborns, and the benefits of colace. Yikes... this recovery thing is hard.

Wishing a quick return to regular blood pressure for you and no eclampsia. I'll be thinking about you all.

AdventuresInBabyMaking said...

It's funny b/c for the last month or so, I kept telling V that I kept seeing twin boys soon. I don't know what it was, but I just kept thinking of twin boys. We thought it was us, but now I think it was YOU. I know that sounds bizarre...

Anyway, thanks for your comments over at AiBM. I've been obsessively looking back at your (and other IVFers) blogs for awhile now, trying to remember what happened and when. We'll see what happens.

Your little guys are gorgeous. Feel better. I can't wait to see updates!

Hanen said...

Congrats & wow for you two amazing mamas. No one mentioned gas pains after a caesar to me either, but then I had all the trauma stuff going on too so I wasn't sure what caused it. Apparently opiate based painkillers are also very "binding" which doesn't help.

Your boys are just beautiful. Please give them some weepy antipodean hugs for us. xxxxh