Monday, January 4, 2010

Do You Like Roller Coasters?

If so, keep reading my blog! Because while I just LOVE a good roller coaster, I did not expect my last month of so of pregnancy to be quite this exciting of a ride.
It just goes to show you that nothing is predictable and everything is completely beyond your control.

At the doctor, my blood pressure was completely normal. No where near the reading I had at home. Bizarre.
I gave a urine sample which they dipped and it came back negative for protein.
I have no swelling. I am well hydrated. The babies heartbeats are great and the twins move around like 2 kittens caught in a paper bag that is my uterus. They say I look great. I feel fine.
I am measuring at 43 weeks. Just when you think you can't get any bigger...

I can't see with my contacts, so I've been advised to just wear my glasses all the time now. That's fine except this is an old RX, so I still don't have 20/20 with them. TV is completely out. If I hold a book really close or enlarge things at close range on my computer, then I can get some things done. Otherwise I am blind. Seriously. Do you know how bad that sucks? And it's worse at night because I think my eyes are fatigued.

So....I'm home. Again. Which is good, but mind-blowing at the same time. They are not labeling me as having preeclampsia--BUT they are cautious that it could turn to that.
I will go back on Wednesday and take the home blood pressure monitor kit with me so they can check it out and make sure the size fits and it's working properly. We'll also do all the other fun stuff: urine, blood, ultrasound.

Until then...I'm just supposed to take it easy, keep my feet up and let the Chicken Sherpa take care of me. Easier said than done. It was fine at the hospital because it was the nurse's job to take care of me. But apparently I am not a very good home patient and try to do too much myself because I feel so guilty that Chicken Sherp has to do so much.
I'm trying...

20 comments:

Jackie said...

Wowza. Okay, we'll (love how I throw that in as though this involves me) take it one day at a time. Everyday pregnant is a victory!

You're my preggo hero!

Melissa said...

Glad you and the babes are okay! They certainly have a way of keeping you on your toes :)

Carrie said...

roller coaster indeed! sheesh girl! hope things calm down and stay calm for a while. :)

cindyhoo2 said...

Yay! I am so happy you are home and that you are not labelled with pre-eclampsia. You and those babies are going to be great but let Chicken take care of you. Feel up like the Diva you deserve to be.

Schroedinger said...

Whew! That's a relief. Maybe it'll help you "try" to recognize that the better you are at being waited on, the more time you will get to spend out of the hospital. Hang in there, Chicklet & Shadow Boxer! Your time is ocming!

SupersammyG said...

wow I go to work for the day and miss two posts. Sorry about the excitement but I am glad that you don't have to go back to the hospital. Wow roller coaster indeed!

Lizzie said...

Thinking of you. Not blogging or even reading much these days, but thinking of you and eagerly awaiting arrival of the twins. Lots of love in this last month! xo

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're still home and all three of you are doing okay. Two ideas that came to mind as I read your post--one hour glasses and a doula or other home helper. Perhaps those could make your last days of pregnancy a bit easier.

Next in Line said...

You are a frequent flyer at that hospital now. Wow. Too bad you can't get points. I hope you get to stay home.

It is really hard to not be able to do things. It makes me crazy. I can't lift anything but the baby yet and right now I can't lift the baby in and out of the bed. It is too low. Grrr. Now is the time to let Chicken do as much as possible and rest up. That is why she is at home and not flying around.

Jem said...

So glad you are home.

I recommend sending Chicken Sherp to the library for a bunch of books on tape/CD so you can have someone read to you non-stop.

No guilt!

Eva said...

okay, I have my seatbelt on. I'm glad your home (again). xo

Anonymous said...

I love a good thrill ride as much as the next girl but come on! You poor thing, the eyes problem has to be maddening. No tv, no computer, no books? Music and books on tape will have to get you through.

And don't forget, you are already doing a shitload of work just hauling those babies around and growing them big and strong. It's not like you are a slacker or something woman!
xo

Coffeegrljapan said...

Just found out a friend of mine is also on bedrest (with twins as well) - it's just so hard to comprehend enduring that. Esp. without good eyesight. I'd go nuts without books and tv. Hang in there mama!

Sunny said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! It's nice to have encouragement from someone a bit further down the road who understands. I'm sorry to read, though, that you are dealing with a rollercoaster of your own! Take care of yourself, that pre-e is nothing to mess with. I'll be following along too!

Gabby said...

well, i love this point of the roller coaster.. where it's nice.. and you thought it was going to be really really bad, but it was just a nice soothing downhill slope..

glad you are home. YES, let chicken take care of you. later in life, some other time, you will take care of her. it will all work itself out, but now is your time. Don't do it for yourself, do it for your (and her!) babies!

keep the good news coming!

Anonymous said...

My...what is going on in NYC? I am sorry for you that things are so unpredictable these days I am very, very glad that you and the babies are fine. And I really (!!!) hope for the whole family that the next trip to hospital will be the one to deliver the twins in seven weeks. sending hugs, if u like :-)Monika/Berlin

Gayby Rabies said...

I'm glad you're home! We need to set up some sort of Puffer-tracker to keep up with your status. As a stubbornly independent person myself, I know how hard it is to let others help you, but I hope you can take it easy for these next few weeks!

Celia said...

One day at a time,maybe you might enjoy audio books?

I am not too happy with my home bp monitor either. Often as not I get an error message.

tiff said...

I'm so glad you're home. Hoping you can enjoy this last time as much as possible. Let yourself be taken care of lady :) xoxo

tireegal68 said...

Just catching up after a forced absence called too much f#$%ing work and I am rooting for you while you ride that coaster.
A thought - will your Rx for your eyes change with the pregnancy or would it be worth getting a cheap pair of Rx glasses?
Good luck - thinking of you:) hope you get some rest. 43 weeks size? wow!!!
take care:)xoox