Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Hope I Don't Jinx Myself

I'm hesitant to write about this because it's like the nosebleeds, as soon as I think I've found a cure--the neti pot! the cool mist humidifier!--I wake up thinking I'm either a crazy drooling pregnant woman or I've got a serious runny nose only to find that I'm laying in a pool of my own blood staining what used to be a rather nice white pillow case.
Yes, that has happened a number of times. Good times, I tell you, good times.
I should have bought a red pillow case months ago. But really? A red pillow case? It's just so...whorish.

So here goes:

My hands and the 'not-so-sure-this-is-carpal-tunnel' problem I was having.
I went to my acupuncturist less than a week after this post and after telling her what my symptoms were, she declared it was coming from my shoulders and chest and no, I did not have carpal tunnel.
She did an hour treatment followed by a massage that she warned would bruise me (it did)....and....my hands have been fine ever since.
As in, no swelling, no pain, no stiffness. Nothing. Nada.
That was over a month ago and I only had one treatment.
Take it for what you will, but readers of this blog know I'm a BIG fan of acupuncture and I am now an even bigger believer.

My eyes. Two weeks ago I decided I would 'try' to wear my contacts for just an hour or so one evening. To my great surprise...I could see with them. My eyes felt fatigued easily, but every day I tried to wear them a bit more. Last week I showed up at my OB appointment wearing them and she agreed that it is a complete medical mystery why my eyes would have blurry vision (with contacts or glasses) for weeks and then for it to go away before birth. No one knows why it happened.
All I know is that I can function like a normal-sighted person again (and watch Dexter!) and I certainly don't take my eyesight for granted anymore.

Acid Reflux. I can't say I've found a 'solution' but I have found that if I take 1 Tum.s and 1 Gas X tablet sitting up in bed about 20 minutes before laying down, the worst of the reflux doesn't rear its ugly head. Yes, there are still times in the middle of the night I have to haul myself in an upright position to burp or risk vomiting in my mouth, but that doesn't happen very often and I'm back to sleeping for 8-9 hour stretches at night which is LOVELY. I do the same routine in the afternoon and manage to get in a good 3 hour nap, so this formula is working well for me.
Although I've got the tablets on the bedside table, I keep loose ones under my pillow so I don't have to worry about turning over if I need one in the middle of the night.
I think every super pregnant woman understands how hard it is to turn over so why do it if you don't have to!

So, there you have it. Pregnancy is such a time of mystery. I don't think you can ever predict what is going to happen. You just have to go with it and hope for the best.

Thanks for all of your well wishes to Chicken. She woke up this morning still wracked with a cough BUT feeling much, much better. It's been a week so it was about time. It's so nice to have the Chicken Sherp 'almost' back to normal.
She felt good enough to do some laundry and we have our cleaning lady coming tomorrow. Honestly, we didn't think it would do much good to have her come earlier if Chicken was sleeping all day. How much could she clean?
But tomorrow we will have a super clean house! Yay!

We are still sleeping in separate beds, but honestly between Chicken's coughing and the farting, burping pregnant lady that I've become (it's like the first trimester all over again) in the past couple weeks--we're probably getting much better sleep this way!

5 comments:

tui said...

Yay for Chicken feeling better, and the cleaning lady coming tomorrow. I'll be you'll both feel a lot better with a nice clean house. So glad to hear you've found things that are helping you, big believers in acupuncture over here too so not surprised that helped!

Schroedinger said...

Yay and yay! I am hoping you didn't jinx yourself either! Somehow, you will no doubt look back on these days as the quiet days....
It's great that you're going to have a sparkling clean home and a healthy Chicken soon!

AdventuresInBabyMaking said...

Wow, I'm impressed at the result from your acupuncturist! That's incredible.

Hoping Chicken feels better, and that you continue to avoid the plague. :)

Nadine said...

Glad to read she is getting better! In time to get all prepared for those babes.

Unknown said...

Totally ridiculous. Can I expect good information on London Acupuncturist.