Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Neti Pots and Nose Bleeds

Have you heard of pregnancy rhinitis? You can read all about it here, but basically it's that stuffed up, congested feeling that commonly plagues pregnant women starting in the 2nd trimester.

I've never suffered from any sort of sinus problems or nasal congestion before, so I was quite surprised when--like clockwork--soon after my 2nd trimester started, I became a stuffed up mess. The breathing was really only a problem when I'm trying to sleep, so I started wearing b.reathe right strips which have been lifesaver, because it's hard enough just getting comfortable to sleep as you get bigger and bigger.

And then...about a month ago....I started getting nosebleeds. Again, I'd heard about this, but didn't think it would happen to me! Boy, there is nothing like waking up to a face full of blood covering your pillow and sheets to quickly realize it CAN happen to you and it IS.
My nosebleeds were mostly in the morning right as I woke up, but that doesn't mean they didn't come unexpectedly during the afternoon or even while I was showering (it looked like I'd killed someone in there when I blew my nose and sprayed blood all over the walls. Lovely. Hygienic, too!)
I didn't know what to do, so I mostly just walked around with a wad of tissue shoved up my left nostril. Oh yeah...always the left, never the right?!

I finally decided I needed to invest in a cool mist humidifier. We were going to get one for the babies anyway, so might as well do it now. So here I am at C.VS and what do I see? A neti pot!
I can't believe these things are being sold at places like CV.S now. We've come a long way since I thought they were only sold at 'hippy like type' places.
But what really caught my eye was the claim on the packaging that it helped with rhinitis of pregnancy. Hmmm....couldn't hurt to try it, could it?

Here I am, two weeks later, using the neti pot every night and guess what? Not a single nosebleed!! Going from a nosebleed a day to zero is AMAZING!
It's also helped with some congestion, although not enough to ditch the nose strips at night.
And another bonus is that I've heard it can help keeping away the flu as you are flushing out tiny invaders every night!
$7.00 was money well spent.

8 comments:

N said...

The neti pot is SO great with the rhinitis. I need to use it more; I'd be so much less miserable.

And man - the breathe right strips recommendation CHANGED MY LIFE. Seriously.

I've had nasal congestion issues my whole life (deviated septum makes it hard enough to breathe through my nose) and since getting pregnant, breathing and I have not been on good terms. But at least with that rec, I can sleep sometimes. XD

I'm SO glad you haven't had a nosebleed in a while! Here's hoping they stay at bay with the neti pot...

Next in Line said...

F says I sound like a seal when I sleep from all the heavy breathing. It is just from that stuffed up noise. The nose bleeds thankfully have stopped. I have to say I am a little nervous pouring water in my nose and have never done it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had never heard of that condition before. I'm glad the neti helped. It makes sense it helps with the bleeds since it's so moisturizing. I LOVE my neti pot - I've used it almost every morning since the first of the year and I swear it keeps me from getting sick. I haven't come down with a cold all year (knock wood!). Plus, it's fun!

Inlocoparentis said...

I wish I would have known - I had a ton of nosebleeds in the 2nd tri.

Anonymous said...

I have been cursed with sinus problems since my 20's and gross as it is, the neti pot is the.best.thing.ever. My tip - Use it in the shower. No worries about accidental mess that way.

Looks like as usual the wise women of the net have saved the day again in reference to your last few posts. I'm glad you are feeling a little better!

Melissa said...

I LOVE the neti!! So glad it's helped.

Terrace Crawford said...

I can so relate. I've had 3 nosebleeds in a week!

I don't normally have them that frequently but this week I have.

--Terrace Crawford
www.terracecrawford.com
www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

Heather said...

gah! i literally had a nosebleed every single day i was pregnant. i swear they started the day i got my first bfp when i poas. and they stopped the day i gave birth to my baby girl. so weird. if/when i ever get pregnant again, i am so getting a neti pot! who knew??